Friday, December 18, 2015

Bokeh Technique w/ Brusho, Nuance & Acrylic Paint

Today I wanted to share a couple of fun cards using the Bokeh Technique which was inspired by this months Technique Challenge on the Club Scrap Blog.

Lisa created her background by using PanPastels but I wanted to see what I could do by using Nuance powders and Brusho Colour Crystals.


Here is my first card...


I started off by sprinkling Red and Green Nuance powders onto watercolor paper then spritzing with water.  

TIP: After the paper had dried (I cheated and used a heat tool), I sprayed it with a couple light coats of hair spray.  This seals in the colors so they don't bleed through in later steps.


Next I tried to add circles with a few different types of white ink to no avail.  I just wasn't getting the variety of opacity I was going for.


So I switched to white acrylic paint!  And it worked like a charm.


Next I stamped on a few bits of holly.  I used Memento markers to ink up the image.


I then went to add the sentiment but wouldn't you know it...I dropped the stamp!  So that's why I added the sentiment stamped on the die-cut ;)  LOL!!  I left both of today's cards pretty simple so the bokeh technique could shine.


My second card was made in a similar fashion but the image was stamped first; colored with a nice selection of Brusho Colour Crystals then the Bokeh Technique was applied over the top.  I didn't spray the BCC with hair spray because I wanted to show you how the colors would come through in the circles for a totally different look.  

Pretty fun how the colors amplify where the acrylic paint was applied - huh?  IRL the individual cyrstals of color really come through the white.  It's amazing how many colors make up a single "color" of Brushos.

So there you go...if you have time, give it a try.
The Brushos/Nuance powders paired with Acrylic paint 
adds a whole new dimension to this technique.

3 comments:

  1. Both cards are lovely and I love your "fix" for the dropped stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these. I like the second one with the bleeding bokeh. Looks cool. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this bokeh technique! Thanks for the tutorial! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!