Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Stamped Sunflower Watercolor Card


Just having some fun with watercolor painting a stamped image today...  

This is a stamp set by Chapel Road Art Stamps - Large Sunflower.  I thought this image would be perfect to stamp then watercolor and I love how it turned out. 



 I started off by stamping the image with Memento London Fog (grey) ink onto watercolor paper. (Note - you could use cold or hot press paper but I prefer the texture of cold press paper to the smoother finish of hot press.) By using grey you get enough detail to follow but once you add a few layers of watercolor paint the stamping recedes allowing the watercolor to shine.  

I started off by painting the background with layers of blue - getting darker near the edges.  Next I painted the yellow, orange and browns of the flower head... I let most of the upper layers of color dry completely before adding the next so I worked on the leaves between dry times for the flower head.  As I was working back and forth they both were finished about the same time.

I don't know why but I find watercolor painting very relaxing - building the layers of color and swishing around the water...  I love it.

Supplies:

Watercolor Image: 

140 lb Cold Press Watercolor Paper
Koi Watercolors
Memento London Fog Ink
Chapel Road ArtStamps - Sunflower

Finished Card:

White & Colored Cardstock - Club Scrap
Memento Ink Dual Tip Markers (for the small sunflower border)
Gold Thread

7 comments:

  1. Oooh, love the rich colors in this card! I'm going to have to try using gray ink for a no-line watercolor technique after seeing this beautiful result!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. Your flower really pops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your watercolor sunflower card is simply gorgeous Roni !!! WOW !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roni, I love, love this card and your work with water colors! This image made me smile because the sunflower was my Mother-In-Law's favorite flower. I am sure that she is smiling in Heaven knowing that you are a fellow fan of this beautiful flower!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!