Tuesday, July 30, 2013

When dying seam binding....

Hi All!

I wanted to pass on a little idea I had while I was dying some seam binding this past weekend.   You know me...I'm very "frugal" and I hate to waste anything so I had this great idea while I was trying to dry my seam binding....

o.k.... so I gathered a nice big pile of white seam binding and pounced some Distress Stain here and there until I thought I had enough ink ~ next I spritzed the pile with water to distribute the ink through the entire pile.  Doing it this way some areas of ribbon will be darker and others will be lighter.

Well, I had WAY too much water as you can see... 
I usually just let it dry naturally but this was going to take too long so I had a thought....


I pulled out a few tags and started blotting the pile of seam binding on the tags.
I didn't really want complete coverage, just ink here and there...


Once one tag was inked to my satisfaction, I moved on to the next until most of the excess water had been pulled out of the binding into the tags.  It worked like a charm!!  I ended up with 5 really cool looking tags and a pile of almost dry dyed seam binding!


It's a great way to kill two birds with one stone...
using half as much stain because I didn't use any extra...
just what was already in the ribbon.

So, next time you pull out some seam binding to dye,
pull out a few tags as well!

3 comments:

  1. I just love happy accidents. And those tags look really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Full of great ideas you are Roni. Lovely vintage look on those tags

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant use of your color and the tags look intentionally great. Creative Hearts are Happy Hearts...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!