I don't know about you but I have all of my passwords for various web-sites, forums, groups and stores written down on a piece of paper and it just keeps getting more and more cluttered. It started out neatly folded and while the writing was small I could still read it. Well, I've continued to add more and more passwords written in the margins, along the edge, squeezed in here and there until I just can't keep it straight anymore.
I know some people like to keep a file on their computer but with hackers smarter (and more evil) than ever I never keep my password list anywhere on my computer so I came up with this book idea.
After MUCH trial and error to get the margins correct (the proof is in my garbage can) I have created 2 different PDF files for you to use to make your very own Password Book.
Small Password Book
The first file is for a small password book that will be finished size - 3.25" x 6" - This is the book I'm going to be making. The reason it is so small is because I wanted it to be made with a book ring binding, one web-site/password per page. This way all of my sites can be alphabetized (a bit of my CDO showing) and if needed I can add or remove sites/passwords easily.
1. Print out as many pages as desired using the PDF file. (Note: these pages should be printed full size for the cutting instructions to work.) I printed mine on cardstock but you can use regular printer paper if desired.
2. Trim off 1/8" from the landscape top and landscape bottom of each page. Your page will now measure 8.25" x 11".
3. Now cut the page in half at the 5.5" mark (basically you're cutting the two columns apart). Your pages will now measure 5.5" x 8.25".
4. Cut each password page 2.75" - each page will measure 2.75 x 5.5". A regular 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper will yield 6 individual pages.
5. If desired you can cut alphabetical dividers - 3" x 5.75". One 12x12 sheet of cardstock will make 8 dividers.
6. Cut the covers 3.25" x 6" from chipboard.
Large Password Book
This password book creates a "normal" book that measures 9x6" when finished. This book is much more user friendly when it comes to cutting but the individual website/passwords won't be removable. You'll have to remove the entire sheet if desired.
1. Print out as many sheets as desired.
2. Cut each sheet in half at the 5.5" mark basically cutting each sheet in half. The pages will measure 5.5" x 8.5" with 4 entries per page.
3. If desired, cut alphabetical dividers measuring 8.75" x 5.75".
4. Finally cut the covers 6x9" from chipboard.
That's where we'll stop for today.
My actual cover paper is drying as I type.
I'll share the final steps tomorrow.