Thursday, July 12, 2012

Warm Thoughts....Faux Sandy Background

Happy Thursday!

Well, today was a very full day so I didn't get to work on my second example of the Shattered Glass Technique I wanted to share with you.

Instead I thought I'd share a fun technique I used to make this beachy "Warm Thoughts" card.


The faux sandy backgroud paper I mounted the shells & sandals on is very dimensional and has such a beautiful shimmer IRL.  I wish you could see it in person but you'll have to take my word on how neat it really is up close and personal.

I made it by applying a layer of Artists Spackle over a piece of plain white cardstock.  I made sure it was a pretty complete layer with only a few bits of the cardstock peeking through.

After the spackle had dried, I misted it with Walnut Stain Maya Mist but really any of the shimmery mists will do.  This needs to be a pretty good coat as the spackle will suck it right up so it doesn't spread much.  Let the mist dry completely.

Tear the edges of the paper to the desired size for your project.  It's not necessary but I also inked the torn edges with Walnut Stain Distress Ink for a nice contrast.


Your finished piece will have such an amazing texture and shimmer that makes people want to reach out and touch it. 

I finished the card off with several stamps from Just For Fun Rubber Stamps and a bit of pattern paper from K & Co. 

1 comment:

  1. Talk about "texture," this has got it in spades. I can almost feel the sand by just looking at the screen and, yes, I want to reach out and touch it! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!