Friday, October 28, 2011

Quick & Easy Organizing Tip - Distress Stain

Hi Everyone!!!

Happy Friday!!!!!!

I hope you've had a wonderful week so far and are preparing for a super weekend.  I spent yesterday (my b-day) with DH...we went and explored Grabill - a small amish community not far from Fort Wayne.  We checked out an Antique Mall where I found a goodie I'll share with you next month as well as an antique flower frog and a few vintage postcards which I will again share with you when the time is right :)  We also hit a vintage style general store, a bulk food store and Michaels (woo hoo!). 

Today I wanted to share a quick and easy way to help organize your Distress Stains.  I keep all of my stains in a couple of vintage game boxes that fits on a shelf right above my desk.  I love how accessible they are but it's a pain in the butt trying to find the color I want....  I have to lift each bottle up to see which color is which.  Not convenient at all so I decide to do something about it.

I cut out lots of little circles from some white labels I had laying around.  I used my 1/2" circle punch which fit perfectly on the lids!

Distress Stain Labels 001

I placed a label/circle on each lid; removed the lid from the bottle and inked it up!

Distress Stain Labels 002

And now at a glance I can choose just the right color....

Distress Stain Labels 003

You could put the color initials on each label as well but I go more by color than name so I skipped that step.

Now I don't have to waste anymore time trying to figure out which bottle of ink I need.

I have to tell you I have started using the Distress Stains for watercoloring my images instead of the Distress Ink Pads.  I find that using the stains instead of the pads is so much quicker and easier.  I either dab my Niji Waterbrush on the DS dabber or pounce a small pool out on my non-stick craft mat if I'm needing larger amounts of ink.
It's my new favorite way to color stamped images!

15 comments:

  1. Great idea for those distress stains.
    I've been to Grabill several years ago,really enjoyed the visit.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea for the stains and great tip about coloring images..now I have a reason to buy the distress stains.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i don't have these ..but great idea never the less..as always roni..tfs..loves ya

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great idea Roni. I just need to go out and buy some stains - LOL! I'm so glad you enjoyed your day yesterday.

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tip! I've dabbed paint onto the lids when they were white, but the sticker is the perfect solution for those black lids. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for such a terrific idea! It's like "duh", Why didn't I think of that!
    Wanda
    Olde crow Mercantile

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did this too but used a small flower punch...they look so cute! great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super important...Happy Birthday yesterday! Sounds like you had a wonderful day of celebrating.
    Brilliant idea for your Distress Stains. The color dots also give inspiration that is lacking otherwise. Happy inking...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you had a great birthday! I did the punched circles on my first set and the I used adhesive re-enforcements on the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this idea ... need to do something similar for ink labels too ... thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awwwwwww...sorry I missed your b-day! Happy Birthday Roni;))))))
    I did this tip with my glimmer mist, it works great! Don't have any stains....yet..hehe

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL Great minds think alike... I did the exact same thing a couple months ago when I bought the whole set of stains. I did the same thing with my glimmer mists.

    Your birthday day sounded wonderful... glad you had some fun! Happy Halloween!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for this great idea. I started right away. Just struggling the get the label of the backer :).

    ReplyDelete
  14. I did the same thing a few weeks back and it's been MUCH easier to find them. they needed to have come with this on them!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!