Thursday, December 2, 2010

25 Days of Hand Crafted Gifts and Ornaments - Wine Cork Trivet

Continuing with the 25 days of hand crafted goodies today's gift idea is perfect for the guy or gal on your list that's also a wine lover!  This would be my Mom in our family ;)

You're going to need 4 basic supplies all of which can be found for free or very cheap!  First you're going to need a board to create your trivet on...I am using a scrap of wood that my Dad was throwing away.  You can get small cut off boards from the lumbar yard very cheap...usually just .50 or so.  Next you're going to need a supply of wine corks.  I got my supply from my Mom.  If you know someone who works at a nice restaurant you can ask them to save the corks for you or if you like, collect your own ;)

25 Days of Hand Crafted Gifts & Ornaments - Wine Cork Trivet 001

You will also need a hot glue gun and a bit of black (or other color) acrylic paint.

Instructions:

1. Sand all edges of the board to be sure there are no splinters or rough edges.

2. Paint all sides of the boards with the acrylic paint.  Let dry completely.

3. Cut each cork in half.  I used my Exacto Knife but a utility knife would work just as well.

25 Days of Hand Crafted Gifts & Ornaments - Wine Cork Trivet 003

4. Lay the corks out on the board to determine what pattern you'd like to use.  I went with this diagonal design...

25 Days of Hand Crafted Gifts & Ornaments - Wine Cork Trivet 004

5. Glue down each cork following the design you decided on.  You may need to cut some corks as you reach the edges so be sure and have a few extra corks to use as end and filler pieces. 

6. Once all of the corks have been glued to the board, flip the trivet over and glue on 4-5 small pieces of sheet cork.  This will ensure that the trivet will stay where you put it!

25 Days of Hand Crafted Gifts & Ornaments - Wine Cork Trivet 006

And your trivet is done!

You've got a really nifty one of a kind wine cork trivet to give or keep.  One thing's for sure...it will definately keep your counter, table, etc. safe and jazz up your kitchen at the same time.

25 Days of Hand Crafted Gifts & Ornaments - Wine Cork Trivet 005

25 Days of Hand Crafted Gifts & Ornaments - Wine Cork Trivet 009

9 comments:

  1. This is cool Roni. I'll have to start collecting corks. I said collecting, not drinking - LOL!
    Thanks for another awesome hand crafted gift.

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great project! I happen to have a basket of corks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really clever. I did something similar, but used it as a memo board -- I think I like the trivet idea better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man!! I just cleaned out my corks! This is really cool! I think I can come up with enough in time for Christmas..my DD would love this! Thanks for another cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous! I have a brother that saves corks for me as I was going to make a wreath when I get enough of them but I may have to try this now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! That is awesome and very unique. Great job Roni!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously, how much wine do you drink Roni? lol...sorry, I just had to say that. I've seen these before, but never with the instructions, thanks and forgive me for the lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Roni, this is so awesome, especially for wine lovers (the collecting of the corks is certainly easier)! My daughter has been collecting wine corks for a wreath, but I just sent her your link--she may just change her mind! You remain such an inspiration for me! Happy Holidays to you and yours. Kay Wallace

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!