Thursday, March 11, 2010

Glaze Techniques Pt II

Hey Guys!

Back to our glazing techniques. Before I get to today's examples I wanted to answer a few questions.

Q - What type of paper did I use?

A - It is DCWV Textured Cardstock...it's just plain cardstock, no glossy finish. The gloss you see in the photos is actually a result of the glazing medium. There are various finishes and this one happens to be somewhere between a gloss & eggshell finish.

Q - What is the difference between the different types of glaze medium?

A - Not sure....I believe it's got something to do with longevity or something but I just don't know. I will look into it and see what I can find out.

I will tell you that I have used all of the ones shown in the photo yesterday plus a couple others and to me they all work great.

There is a huge difference in the price though ~ from anywhere from $1.50 a bottle up towards $10.00+ a bottle. If you're just starting out wanting to try your hand at glazing I say start with the cheapest type you can. See if you like it and go from there.

Q - How long does it take to dry?

A - Glazing medium extends the drying time of acrylic paints allowing ample time to create many different looks using these techniques. The open work time is about 20 minutes or so. That in part is what makes glazing so much fun. It is virtually mistake free because if you don't get the look you want the first time simply wipe it away or brush right over it (depending on the technique ~ usually adding or removing layers of glaze). The dry time will vary due to temperature and humidity.

Glazing Medium Techniques

Part II

Sponging

O.k...this is another fun technique where you can create lots of fun faux texture.

This example was made by first painting a layer of glaze onto the cardstock.

I then pounced the natural sea sponge into the glaze which actually lifts some of the glaze off of the cardstock.

Pounce the glazed sponge onto a seperate piece of cardstock, piece of dry towel or scrap paper to remove the excess glaze.

Continue to pounce back and forth between the cardstock and scrap paper until you have sponged the entire piece.

Glazing Techniques - Pt I 016

You can also create a neat faux texture by simply sponging the glaze onto your project as shown here.

Glazing Techniques - Pt I 017

Stamped Glaze

NOW, this is one of my favorite techniques because it offers a subtle yet striking effect to any project. Stamping in glaze!! Keep in mind that bold image stamps work better than word, detailed or line stamps.

Again you can either stamp into a layer of glaze which has been painted onto your project....

Glazing Techniques - Pt I 012

or you could pour some of the glaze mixture onto a non stick craft mat, coat the stamp with a light layer of glaze then stamp your project. Resulting in a look similar to this....

Glazing Techniques - Pt I 012

Stippling

The last technique I wanted to share today is created using a stipple brush.

Simply dip the stipple brush into the glaze, pick up only enough glaze to coat the very tips.

Glazing Techniques - Pt II 001

Pounce off much of the glaze onto a paper towel....this will create a dry brush effect if you've ever done much painting.

Glazing Techniques - Pt II 002

Pounce the glazed stipple brush in an up and down fashion.

Glazing Techniques - Pt II 003

This is what your glaze will look like....

Glazing Techniques - Pt II 010

Monday I will be back with more examples of fun glazing techniques using a Making Memories texture tool!

You won't want to miss it!

Tomorrow is Ink Stained Card Sketch Day

Saturday I'm hoping to share a St. Patty's Day project with you

and of course I'll have more Vintage Postcards for you on Sunday!

See you there!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks Roni! Excellent tutorials so far..! Have never thought to stamp into glaze... so must give that a go..
    TFs
    Lou xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting the answers to our questions! Yup, the more you tell us, the more questions we have!! I'll have to look for some glaze to try the next time I'm at Michaels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so great! Thanks for the clear tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I think I foresee book two in the works....Yeah babie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Roni for doing all the work.I will just find one I like from your tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Roni -

    Love the sponging and stippling techniques. It is really neat how you can get different looks using the same medium just by switching out the tools or letting dry and adding more.
    Thanks for sharing more goodness with us.

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!