Tuesday, January 5, 2010

CD Calendar - March - Embossed Layers

I am so tickled everyone is enjoying the calendar AND it's great to hear how some people are playing along as we go! I love trying to come up with different or not often seen techniques to share.

Diane mentioned just making CD and using the photo corners to change out the months ~ that would work perfectly if you're short on time or needed to make several calendars. You could even attach a small envelope to the back side of the CD to hold the other months.

If you are making the whole calendar, you can keep it for next year by changing out the old months for new as well!

Now on to today's technique...

CD Calendar

*March*

Embossed Layers

CD Calendar - March 002

NOTE: You will need to use chipboard for the foundation...cardstock will distort quite a bit when paired with this technique.

Supplies:

Several Jars of Embossing Powder

Embossing Re-Inker

Mini Mister

Stipple Brush

Heat It Craft Tool

Chipboard

Embellishments

Calendar

Instructions:

1. Begin by adding several drops or dollops of embossing ink into the Mini Mister container. Now most embossing inks are VERY thick but don't worry, we're going to thin it out a bit.

CD Calendar - March 003\

2. Add about 1/4" of water to the Mini Mister. Warm water works quicker but cold will work too. Replace the cap and shake until the ink and water are mixed. This might take a bit of time since the embossing ink is so thick.

3. Spritz the chipboard with the embossing ink/water mixture.

CD Calendar - March 004

4. Sprinkle lightest color of embossing powder over the diluted ink. Shake off excess and return it to the jar.

CD Calendar - March 005

5. Heat and emboss! Let this layer cool completely before moving on to the next layer.

CD Calendar - March 006

6. Spritz on more embossing ink and add a second layer of embossing powder.

CD Calendar - March 007

7. Continue to add layers of ink and embossing powders until you are satisfied with the results. You will need less and less ink for every additional layer ~ you still want the original layers to show through.

You may end up with something like this...I used - Lettuce, Bottle, Queen's Gold, Rust, Copper and Gold Embossing Tinsel (doesn't show up in the photos but looks great IRL).

CD Calendar - March 008

(with flash)

CD Calendar - March 009

8. Trim to CD size and embellish!

CD Calendar - March 011

And here is how March turned out....

CD Calendar - March 012

The shamrocks are actually green Prima flowers that I tore off any extra petals, folded and adhered to the page.

OH, someone also asked what was on the 14th on yesterday's calendar...it's a mini gemstone. I added one to the 17th of this month as well :) Just an extra little something you can add or not add to your calendar to mark special days/events.

Be sure to check in tomorrow when we'll be working on April's calendar!

CD Calendar - March 013

Have a wonderful evening everyone!!

7 comments:

  1. these are absolutely gorgeous! I can't wait to see whats next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog. I check it every day because I always learn something new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so much fun, this is my first project to follow along.

    alice

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOOH! lovely. I'm working on January now and while starting it today I decided that I would make mine re-useable. I belive in being green and this was perfect! I'm using photo corners to replace the calendar every year. Thanks for the project!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are doing a wonderful job Roni! As soon as I get my studio reorganized I will be making this calendar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have the best ideas! I really appreciate your tutorials and the great photos that make everything so clear. Thank you for all of the wonderful posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Roni -

    I love this technique. I like the look of the different embossing powders together. Thanks for another great calendar month.

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!