Sunday, December 7, 2008

Gift Idea #9 - Telephone/Address Book!

25 Days of Gifts

#9 - Telephone/Address Book

Here is a fun gift idea for that busy person on your gift list...a telephone/address book. I made this one for a friend hence the "F". It was assembled using beeswax! If you've never played with beeswax before I highly recommend it. It's loads of fun and very versatile. You can use it as an adhesive for just about anything, stamp in it, it can be tinted, and best of all it waterproofs your work instantly!

I heat mine up in the Melt Pot and a project pan. You'll need a paint brush that you can dedicate to beeswax because once it's saturated with the wax it will never come out completely. Some people say you have to use a new disposable brush each time because the wax will destroy the brush. I personally think it's a load of bull....I have used the same brush for about 5 years now. When I'm finished with a project I just let the brush/wax harden and the next time I go to use it I simply lay the brush in the hot wax until the wax in the bristles has melted. It's good to go for another round. It's up to you but you can't use the brush for painting after it's had wax on it.

It's a very quick process because the beeswax dries almost instantly. If you need more time to work with your embellishments and papers you may use a heat gun to keep the wax fluid until you have your items positioned.

Beeswax_Friends_folder

I was in a hurry so I just used pre printed address pages I bought from an office supply store for the center. You can however print off a variety of pages off the net and cut them out yourself if you'd like.

Cost for this project is very little...you will have the price of the beeswax but most embellishments and ephemera can be found in your existing collection. If you purchase a set of pages for the inside it may cost $3.00-5.00 or you can print your own and save that expense as well. All in all a very cool project for a little bit of nothing!

So there you have it...another fun and quick gift idea :)

Happy Day!!

4 comments:

  1. Love it - I too love beeswax and the smell is gorgeou

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very, very cool. I am thinking a journal / address book combo. Easy enough to make a matching set, yes?

    Love the projects, Roni. Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog and your awesome projects!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that little penny tucked in there!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!