Sunday, October 19, 2008

Paper Arts

Today's featured retailer is PaperArts.com. An awesome on-line store that offers an amazing variety of papers for a very reasonable price.

I talked to the owner of Paper Arts, C Grey, about her incredible site and decided I had to share this gem with everyone!!

I asked how she got started and it was rather an amusing story...."When the local paper store was closing down, I thought about opening a store and woke from a dream with the idea to purchase the phone number from the existing business. A deal was struck for the phone number and I had customers the first day my doors were open." Talk about a dream come true!!

You will not believe the collection of papers offered here. Stocking over 2,000 - yes that is two THOUSAND different handmade, decorative and fine arts paper. The paper sizes range from 8x10 all the way up to 28x40" sheets. For your convenience they do offer 3x6" swatches of all of their paper each labeled with the paper name and item number. An excellent tool for color matching before purchasing the whole sheet.

When we were talking, C shared this fun bit of trivia about paper making with me....Papermaking was invented in the Orient about two thousand years ago and the basic steps remain much the same. Raw material, such as Abaca found in the stock of Banana trees, or bits of Cotton rag are beaten to a pulp and suspended in a vat of water. Then the mould, a fine mesh in a frame, is dipped in the vat. When lifted, the mould holds a layer of matted fibers creating a sheet of paper with a deckled edge. Wet sheets are stacked between felts and pressed to remove excess water, then dried. Today's handmade paper combines Old World craftsmanship with Modern Technology.

I asked C where she found all of her sources and amazingly enough she has contacts in 18 countries and usually deals directly with the manufactures both large and small. I found that very interesting because she went on to tell me about various factors that you never think about when you purchase papers like this. She was explaining how she has lost several paper vendors in the past year due to natural disasters such as Tsunamis, Typhoons and the fear of civil unrest in our ever changing world.

Here are just a few of her experiences in the world market:

*The price of gas in Nepal is $8.00 dollars a gallon and electric service is intermittent.

*The Lokta paper is made up in the Mountains and brought down on the backs of donkeys to market.

*One of the major paper mills in the Philippines was destroyed in a fire.

*When the Tsunamis struck Thailand it not only destroyed the paper mills, the water removed all the plants that the paper was made from.

*The women's co-op in Africa is not making paper at this time, due the treats of kidnapping.

*A Typhoon in Japan reached a paper mill specializing in Washi paper. The handmade wooden blocks used to print the paper were damaged beyond repair and are too costly to replace.

*There is a woman who makes cattail paper from the marsh located behind her house!

So many fun stories!

After spending some time browsing the site I asked her what was her favorite papers and why.

"Gampi paper has a wonderful surface and is great for collage, alternative photography and printmaking. Good quality Gampi paper is hard to make and even harder to find with the family owned paper mills closing down in Japan.

Marbled Metallic Paper from Thailand is very exciting to use as every sheet is unique with a wrinkled surface that is very forgiving and the designs are hand created. This paper is excellent for book arts, collage and lampshades as it is strong and translates light very well."

Now, I don't think if it were me I would be able to choose just one or two. I'm thinkin' I'd have trouble just narrowing it down to 8 or 10 - LOL!!! (I'm going to tell you about some of my fav's in a minute.)

A bit about the store it's self...Paper Arts ships to the USA, Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Alaska, Hawaii and also Canada. The reason for this is once you leave these areas it's not possible to track shipments making it impossible to ensure that your package arrives safely. There are no minimum orders. C & Paper Arts understands you may only require a few paper art supplies at a time and want you to be able to order exactly what you need. C would love to talk with you about your project or answer any paper questions, it's how we stay connected with trends and our customers needs. You may shop for papers using one of 2 methods....alphabetical or by color (simply click on one of the color boxes under the main menu).

Oh and I almost forgot...Paper Arts offers up loads of other cool items you might need....Stationary & Vellum; Ribbon & String; Embellishments and so much more!!!

Now, like I mentioned earlier...I just could NOT just pick one or two favorites so here are a FEW of my fav's....

*Ancient Tablet Paper in Copper/Black #1533 - OH MY!!! This stuff is so cool...it is a very rough, textured paper! LOVE the color.

*Bark Amate Paper - Dark Purple #1014 - O.k....the photos of this stuff just does NOT do it justice. The pattern you see in the photos is much more evident in person. I used purple as the example but all of this stuff is great! BEAUTIFUL colors.

*Bark Fiber Sheets #2035 - OMG ~ this is way cool...it's like a sheet of very thick cheese cloth that once it is wet can be stretched and molded for various applications. I'm going to dye some with my reinkers!!

*Bark Woven Amate Paper #1866 - another way cool paper. When they say woven they really mean it! It's got a very defined weave to it that is awesome! You just have to see it to kwim. I can think of loads of fun stuff to use this on!

*Cavallini Paper #1953 - Paris Postcards - this stuff rocks...it's actually 28 Paris themed post cards! You can cut them up and use them for cards, ATC's; collage, etc. Or you could leave it whole and use it. Talk about a bargain...

Well, see, I'm only up to the C's and I've already got 5 favorites ;) I tell you, you're absolutely going to LOVE this place!!

Now, it's your turn!

YES ~ another GREAT give-a-way!!!

Tell me what your favorite or favoriteS are...(be sure to include the item # so we can use the search option to check em all out).

You'll be entered to win a $25.00 gift certificate from Paper Arts so you can buy that favorite paper or whatever else your heart desires.
You have until October 25th to post your comment!!

So come on people...tell me what you like!

and remember....

You can't win if you don't post!

17 comments:

  1. Very different but neat paper. A couple that I REALLY liked was "Block Print Paper (1877)", it was chain link. How cool would that be to have different colored cardstock or pics peeking through. And I liked "Embossed Allergro Paper (1888)" Loved the swirls. Would love to cover a chipboard mini album with that! Thanks for sharing the website. Really made me stop and think, "Hmmm, how would I use that?" Makes you be creative, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny! You told me about this shop a few weeks ago and believe it or not I kept forgetting to check it out until LAST NIGHT. And then you post about it today. LOL Woo Woo Woo Woo.... (*grin*)

    I am in LOVE with this Napa Print Paper (1927) in cream with copper leaves printed over the top. Yum! (click on cream color, go to page 2 and it's the 2nd one down ---> or search the name)

    So many fun prints and cool textures. I'm pretty sure I need one of EVERYTHING... but my bank account may not forgive me for that. So I will look forward to getting a bunch of sample swatches to see which ones I can't possibly live without and order those in the full sheets.

    ~phinny

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it all. I would have to say, though, my favorite is Tassotti Print Paper. Just gets my creative juices flowing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am love with the Bark Amate paper! The texture is subtle but beautiful. I am a handmade paper FREAK! Love the individual nature of each sheet and imagining the person who made it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phinny...is that YOU??? OMG, you're back online and checking out paper! Email me and let me know what your'e up to and what visions you have for your favorite papers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Number 1617 gets my vote! Bronze stucco paper - the texture and color are talking to me. Cool site. Thanks for being a paper enabler.
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great place to "window" shop. Really liked: Mango Papers and Washi Crape papers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,
    I've used a number of these papers, but the one store in town doesn't stock all the colors. If anybody is interested in the ogura lace paper, it is thick and stiff and looks very exotic placed over a piece of metallic paper. Personally, I'm very interested in the bark fiber. Anything I can 3D mold is right up my alley. Thanks for the site.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There are some great papers on that site. Some of my favorites were: Lokta Paper (1798)- Expresso Brown, Lokta Sun Washed Clover Paper (1868)-Forest - Palm Green, Stucco Paper (1617)- Bronze. It was so hard to chose just a few. I love handmade papers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love speciality made papers! Some my favs are the marbled ones!...but I think I may need to start with some samples. Thanks for sharing such a great site!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing this site. I like the Ogura Lace Paper (1526)...and the bark papers too.
    The wax sealers were neat as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the Ancient Tablet Paper and the Rossi Print and the Tasotti papers...oh and the Bark Amate papers and oh sooo many more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. There are SO MANY beautiful papers that I can't choose just one, so I will pick The Collage Bits and Pieces Kit #4016.... I'm sure the papers vary, but in the photo it looks like you get a nice assortment to play with~some pattered paper, a lace looking one, a loosly woven one, a bumpy textured one and more! Also, check out the Collage section where there are Design Hints, Creative Suggestions, Techniques, a list of cool "Found Obects To Gather" and a list of artists work you might want to check out. This is not only a great shopping site, it is a great teaching site! Thank you for sharing, Roni!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am choosing the Cavellini Map Paper I saw among your new items. It was terribly hard to choose just one. It was tremendous fun to learn about your company and make a wish list of all the amazing handmade papers.

    Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am new to your blog and I am just loving it!!! And now thank you for introducing me to Paper Arts!!! From what I have seen so far I just love the Banana Bark paper [Banana Bark Paper (1639)].

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow! huge selection of handmade papers! i'm lovin of them already! my faves are Ogura Lace Paper (1527), Rossi Print Paper (1937), Napa Print Paper (1928), and all of the Washi papers.

    ReplyDelete
  17. 1860 - Bark Amate Paper in Golden Brown (what fabulous texture)

    Tassotti Print Paper (1940) - Birds ... this one would be a perfect gift for several people I know.

    Thanks for introducing us to this wonderful world of paper.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!