Sunday, September 28, 2008

Paper Artsy!

Today's featured rubber stamp retailer/designer is Paper Artsy! An amazing company with a fun, funky, eclectic line of stamps ranging from vintage to modern designs!

The owner of Paper Artsy ~ Leandra Franich was kind enough to share her thoughts, art and stamps with us!

When asked how Paper Artsy got started she replied....

"Originally ‘PaperArtsy’ was a stamping group of about 30 people who would meet monthly in Brentwood, Essex. 3 other craft ladies and I would teach 3 projects on a Saturday in a local hall. We would always teach with the latest products, ideas and techniques. The four of us would meet weekly to plan and kit-up for the classes – it was probably more work than we expected it to be, but it was a lot of fun.

At the same time I was demonstrating at Craft shows and on TV for another UK Stamp Company. They suggested I should design a line of stamps myself. As luck would have it, I knew someone who had designs ready to go to market, but didn’t have any idea about the manufacturing, and she didn’t want to be involved with marketing, branding etc. So we purchased designs from her and launched in 2004 with the Ink and the Dog collection under the PaperArtsy logo. The name “PaperArtsy” was the brainchild of Mark, my husband. It’s catchy, simple, easy to spell and representative of our style, so we felt this would be a good name to stick with.

Since then, every year we have introduced a new collection of stamps from other unknown but very talented designers, all people whom we have stumbled across at some point. My husband Mark (we call him Mr PA) is also fully involved these days, and he also has been designing stamps in the last 2 years. He has a great eye for design, if you have seen any of our adverts, catalogues or flyers, they are all his work. I guess it’s no surprise that he’s so ‘digitally’ talented considering pre-PaperArtsy he was a chiropractor! (Did you see what I did there…the pun on digits???). We’re lucky that we can work really well together, and we have different skill sets which are both valuable for running a business. It’s been a steep learning curve, but I’m feeling a bit more settled into it now. We have developed some unique tricks within our manufacturing process, and often when exhibiting here or in the USA we are complimented by competitors on the fantastic quality of our rubber stamps, which is a great compliment for us coming from other long-established companies."

When asked what inspires Paper Artsy's designs she replied, "We watch trends on the High Street fashion stores, particularly for colours and patterns. Interior design stores also reflect themes in the wallpaper or textile patterns and textures. Music videos and adverts also have subtle (or not so subtle) graphic trends. Mark reads loads of Photoshop and graphic design magazines which tip us to new trends very early. So I guess we pretty much look outside the Craft Industry for our ideas.

The next step is we discuss with designers what we are ‘seeing’ and how we can reflect that in our current collections. For example 4 years ago we saw altered art and making your own bespoke papers using inks and stamps as important, 3 years ago we identified flourishes and background elements as being wonderful to work with. 2 years ago, birds nests, birds, trees, twigs, and in the last year we have seen butterflies and dragonflies doing another round, plus small houses and of course hand-drawn elements have grown in popularity.

We work closely with designers to discuss how we can theme these ideas to seasons, and grouping sets of designs together. It’s a team approach - bouncing ideas off each other until we are all happy with the end result. Then we release stamps to the design team to come up with new art samples and ideas with new products. It’s important to have ideas of what you can do with the stamps when they are released to the public for sale. These ideas also can be presented to shops as ideas for art samples, classes etc."

Here are a couple of projects she made recently using the newest Paper Artsy release in the Squiggly Ink line of stamps ~ Egg Nog ~ just in time for Christmas!




On to the stamps!!

Paper Artsy offers 4 very distinct lines of stamps - Paper Artsy's original line - Ink and the Dog; Urban Snapshots, Paper Artsy Mini's (the perfect size for ATC's!!) and Squiggly Ink. In addition to the stamps they also offer some awesome German Scrap designs as well!!

I have to tell you about how these stamps are packaged...each set comes with it's own heavy duty plastic index card. It's got the stamped image on one side and the stamp is stored on the other. I love it!!


Paper Artsy 001


But I love the stamps even more!!!

Just a bit about each line....

Ink and the Dog is a line full of surprises ~ with varied subjects such as Ancestors, Buttons, Femme, Wings and more! This is my favorite line because you just don't know what you'll find...

Urban Snapshots are contemporary images with a twist. Modern day images paired with great quotes, sayings and sentiments. Such as Nature, Stage Lights, Young Love and...well, I'll let you find your favorites. These stamps will surely spark your creative imagination!

Paper Artsy Mini's are the best of Paper Artsy's images shrunk down to credit card size for use on ATC's, Cards, Inchies and more! Individual stamps mounted on EZ Mount foam ready to go right out of the package. You'll see very quickly which is my favorite below!

And last but certainly not least....Squiggly Ink! Wildly fun stamps with all of the squiggles, dots and doodles that is so very popular right now... You'll definitely find something that is a must have for your stamp collection!

Below are some of my favorite images offered by Paper Artsy....

Sportsman - (mini 08)


Paper Artsy 009


Father - (mini 08)


Paper Artsy 010


One True Friend - (Kids Plate 6)


Paper Artsy 006


Jack & Jill- (Kids Plate 6)


Paper Artsy 012


Two Roads... (Nature Plate 4)


Paper Artsy 004


Now, you might be wondering why I didn't use any stamps from the Squiggly Ink line of stamps....

Wellllllll.....

I am saving that set for one lucky reader!!!

Yep, that's right...just tell me what your favorite(s) stamp(s) are in the entire Paper Artsy line and you just might be the proud new owner of...


Egg & Nog Plate # 8!!


Paper Artsy 014


You have until October 5th to post your favorite stamp set. At which time I will draw out one lucky winner using Random.org. So...have fun window shopping and remember.....

YOU CAN"T WIN IF YOU DON"T POST!!!!

Have a great evening everyone ~

Hope you had a wonderful weekend!

20 comments:

  1. I love the Cat's Meow Collection -Safari!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the background stamps...especially plate 6 which will be very lovely to use in vintage creations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Wrought Iron collection - wow, thanks for the heads-up on PaperArtsy. They have some really cool images. Thank you also for hosting a giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Swirls & Curls 5 is my all time fave and this new egg & nog #8 is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favourite is from the Ink & the Dog collection "Travel Plate 3" I have this set & find it very versatile. Infact I have quite a few from this collection & they are all gorgeous.

    Hugs
    Tracey
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have to go with the wrought iron. Love that Christmas Tree.
    Thanks Jill

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, you are evil for making us pick a favorite. I must have spent at least 30 mins on the site and am still having trouble! If only I could buy the entire collection. If I have to pick one, I'd go with the Eclectic Plate 4.

    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to win this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the Swirlies #5 though I do love the background stamps as well!!! This #8 Egg Nog is SUPER and a lucky person indeed will be receiving this giveaway!!!
    huge hugs
    Patti V

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favorite set is the fluttery beauties--love the dragonfly. The Egg and Nog is also gorgeous! Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tough to decide but I like the Wrought Iron #3 and the entire set. Loads of good stamps...another drain on my savings! Thanks for the opportunity to win.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love all the Ink and Dog stamps, but my favorite would have to be the little boy on At Home Plate 5. He is just so cute.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Paper Artsy stamps...so many of them! But a big favorite for me is Travel Plate 2.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really love all their stamps, but if I have to pick a favorite it is PETALS Plate 4 from the INK and the DOG collection.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ink and the dog, very cool. Love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love my "nature' sets from the Urban Snapshots collection!!! They are awesome!

    All the new ones are so darn cute!!! Love those ATC sized stamps - especially the squigly arches! Adorable!

    And those Christmas doodle ones? Oh man...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love all the Ink and the Dog plates, but if I have to choose one it would be the Kids Plate 6. Very versatile and can be used together or individually. I love multi-use stamps!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love Egg & Nog 1. Well, I like all of the Egg & Nog stamps! LOL I love everything Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the Ephemera ones. I can't decide which set but those type are definitely my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have become a big fan of Paper Artsy stamps. I would have to say that my favorite collection at the moment is the Mystery collection. I really like the one stamp that has the maiden, mother & crone on it (Plate 1) and the rune writing (plate 2). Thanks for the background story on this company! ~Tara

    ReplyDelete
  20. I absolutely love the Ink and the dog collection- words plate number 1, but really, all of them are awesome!!! What can I say, I just love words!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!