Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Recycled Floor Puzzles

Do you ever recycle things to use in your art? I do...I use everything from cereal boxes (Karen can vouch for me on that one ;) LOL!!!) to empty bottles, wrapping paper, old decks of cards, virtually anything I can get my hands on. Yes, I admit it ~ I am a Pack Rat - LOL!!!

I was recently at a garage sale where I was lucky enough to find 2 GIANT floor puzzles... when I say Giant, I really mean it...each piece measures anywhere from 8-10"!!!! There are 24 pieces per puzzle!

I can't tell you how excited I am about them! I could hardly wait to dig in and start playing with them :)

So, today I thought I'd share what I have been working on for the last few days.... (these are for a couple friends b-days).... I used Distress Crackle Metallic Paints as the foundation then worked up from there...

Friendship Fairy

Giant Puzzle Piece Art006

ART

Giant Puzzle Piece Art007

So....now it's your turn,

tell us what you rescue from the bin

and incorporate into your pieces of art!

8 comments:

  1. Those giant puzzle pieces are a great find! Good work!

    I took a bag of items home from the local thrift shop and made a rather stunned looking doll and an altered book. You can see them here:
    http://13thstreetstudio.typepad.com/13th_steet_studio/2008/07/the-dime-bag-show-part-two.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing altered projects!! I can't even imagine 8 inch puzzle pieces!! Hey...I have a whole roll of that pearlized punchinella in the first piece....did I send you some???!! LOL!
    As far as recycling, the question is what do I NOT recycle in my art?!! Anything paper is game. Lately I have been hoarding old packaging, chipboard and clear packaging...and of course pieces of toys and games! Doing lots of stamping on clear packaging material these days with StazOn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love everything you do!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your creations are awesome but I tell you, I love Buzz!! He looks like I feel sometimes - LOL!!!

    Cool beans Karen ~ Nope, I got that in an assortment of goodies from Hannah Grey. It's cool stuff though isn't it! I love playing with it ~ so much fun!!

    Yep, lots of old packaging, I've also been collecting old books but other than dictionaries I haven't had the nerve to tear them up yet!

    Thanks Crystal :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used a calendar given to me from a drug rep, and also a page from an old encyclopedia too. See my blog, the encyclopedia piece is the most recent post and the calender and the next one.

    www.wlrph.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. These puzzle pieces are fantastic! I recycle lots of things - guess I'm a packrat too. I've used old credit cards, soda can pop tops, candy wrapper foil, old jewelry, packaging and clothing tags, the list goes on and on!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love, love, LOVE these! (another hit, Roni. Seriously!)

    And recycling for my art is one of my fav topics so beware, long comment coming.

    ~ I cut out clear packaging material for acetate (save $$!) ~ Save those plastic pudding or drink containers - they work great for mixing paints, inks, glues... anything liquid. Or for keeping small embellishments like beads in one place on your craft table ~ Old books, of course, like foreign language dictionaries, school texts, old encyclopedias (Pre 1970), children's books, cook books, etc. ~ look for finds like these: old puzzles and game boards and pieces (dominoes, poker chips, playing cards etc.) ~ flash cards ~ sewing patterns ~ remove buttons, trim & fabric strips off of falling apart vintage clothes ~ jars from the kitchen to hold embellishments, etc. or use the lids to make circles ~ forks to make fun lines ~ kitchen tools either as tools or to stamp with.

    Ok, ok I'll stop now. Great topic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Roni......these pieces are gorgeous. I have never seen puzzle pieces that big...what a great find.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!