Thursday, August 21, 2008

Domino Accordion Book

Oh I'm so excited about the little book I have to share today. Not necessarily the book it's self but for the possibilities on where it can take you! It's a fairly easy design that can be adapted to virtually any need by simply changing the theme, images and colors. This could be used for a mini birthday book, a thank you gift, graduation, wedding, etc. I used collage images from Queen's Dresser Drawers but by simply reducing your own images and adding them to the book it can be personalized for anyone!

Bathing Beauties....

Domino Book013

Supplies:

Jumbo Dominoes - 2

Queen's Dresser Drawer Collage Sheet - Hannah Grey

Adirondack Dimensional Pearls - Ranger

Distress Inks - Ranger

Ink Blending Tool & Foam - Ranger

Glue Film - Streuter

Flourish Stamps - Autumn Leaves

Mod Podge - Glossy

Colored Hemp

Dremel/Drill

Instructions:

1. Paint all sides of the dominoes using Adirondack Dimensional Pearls. I used the Ink Blending Tool & Foam but you can use a brush, foam brush, etc. Whatever works for you. Set aside & let dry.

I love this paint because it's more of a glaze than paint. It has a transparent quality which allows the background images/colors to come through. You will need to top-coat it with Mod Podge when it's used on a non-porous surface.

Domino Book001

2. While your dominoes are drying you can cut the paper for the inside pages. Measure the domino you are using and cut your paper approximately 1/8" smaller.

3. Score fold lines in whatever way you are comfortable. I use my trimmer as a guide for both measuring and scoring. It is quicker for me and much easier to keep all of my score lines straight.

Domino Book002

You should end up with something like this....

Domino Book003

4. Your domino should be dry by now - add your cover image and apply a layer of Mod Podge. Add book title and add another layer of Mod Podge. At this time cover all sides of 2nd domino with Mod Podge & let both dry.

Domino Book004

5. Time to work on the insides of your book...add photos, words, stamped images, etc. to the pages.

Domino Book005

6. After your dominoes have dried, drill a hole in the sides of each domino using the method I shared here - Drilling a Hole in a Domino. This is how you will later "close" your book.

Domino Book006

7. Time to assemble the book! Using a small piece of Glue Film and embossing gun, attach the cover of your book to one end of your pages. You can use other adhesives but this is quick and there is no dry time associated with this type of adhesive - I LOVE it!! Do the same with the back cover domino.

Domino Book008

8. Thread a 20" piece of hemp through the back cover of the domino and tie a knot on each side of the domino. The knots just ensure that the hemp won't become lost when the book is opened.

Domino Book009

9. Tie a bow and you're finished!

Domino Book010

Back side of the book....

Domino Book011

Inside of the book....

Domino Book014

Just a note... I ended up having to let the Mod Podge sit quite a while to dry because of the high humidity here. It was also somewhat sticky when it was finally dry. I ended up applying a light coat of clear acrylic spray. Depending on your area/climate you may or may not have to do this as well.

I hope you've enjoyed this little project and give it a whirl yourself.
I promise whomever the lucky recipient is they will be pleased with their own little piece of art!
Hope you've had a wonderful week...tomorrow is FRIDAY!!!
YEAH :)
I'll have the Ink Stained Sketch examples to share with you so be sure and check back then!!

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tutorial. I love the way you teach, you explain things very clear and you show Lots of pictures, I need that.
    Just wanted to say thanks, you're a talented lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a fun book! I'm thinking about trying a little larger tiles for a inchie book. I have been out of town and missed several of your great posts here...will have to come back again to look closer!!
    Thanks Roni!!...Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorial, and I love your domino art, stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is a blending tool? I am intrigued! I am also so glad I found your blog, it is helping me get inspired. I make pendants too and love meeting other creative people. Using paint is new for me! Your pendant rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone!

    Suzie ~ the Ink Blending Tool is my FAVORITE tool :) It's made by Ranger and if you check the right hand column you will see my top 10 ink blending tool techniques. Just click on each of the links and it will take you to the various how-to posts on using the Ink Blending Tool :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so darn creative! I wanna come play in YOUR studio. Thanks for the amazing idea... and the beautiful inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun project! Great documentation!
    --Mike Jennings

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for this tutorial! the domino book is so cute and i love it so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for the tutorial, very clever and very unusual, I really found it informative, thank you Jaqi

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!