Monday, June 16, 2008

Painting with Perfect Pearls - Pt II

Back in February I shared a box I made by painting with Perfect Pearls. That particular project I used white cardstock as the background foundation. Today I wanted to share with you a card that I made using black cardstock as the foundation. You will be amazed to see what a striking difference changing the background paper makes with these pigment powders.

To refresh every one's memory here is the box I made using white cardstock and the Kraft/natural color of the box.

White Background....

PP Box lid


Kraft/Natural Box Sides....

Pleasure & Perfect Pearls 013


Now, compare those with this.....

Dream Butterfly


Amazing how striking the colors are isn't it? The black of the paper really makes the colors just pop off the card!!

Supplies:

Perfect Pearls - Forever Green, Forever Blue, Blue Patina, Turquoise, Interference Green - Ranger

Ancient Gold Embossing Powder - Ranger

Embossing Ink - Ranger

Non-Stick Craft Mat

Waterbrush - filled with water

Club Scrap - Black Silk Cardstock

Heat Gun (to speed drying)

To make paint simply put a small amount of Perfect Pearls Pigment Powder onto the craft mat and add a bit of water. I mix and paint using the waterbrush. I find that using the waterbrush allows me to control the paint far easier than just a regular brush. It also adds depth by creating "pools" and "waves" of color.

Dream Butterfly - close up

Try experimenting with various colors of background cardstocks and see how by this slight change you will dramatically change the entire look of your project!! More to come on this subject in the future ;)

Now...Go Get Inky!!

9 comments:

  1. Gorgeous Roni!! My very first introduction to Perfect Pearls was in a stamping class where we used it on black cardstock...so I am very familiar with the dramatic impact of using it on dark papers!
    Now that I finally broke open my package of perfect pearls, I need to grab some dark cardstock and get to it again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely card with the black background paper! Thanks for sharing Roni!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That just jumps off the page. Very cool, Roni.

    I (mistakenly) thought that only the interference Perfect Pearls worked on black or dark cs. Seeing the results of the regular PP colors gives me so many more possibilities now. Fantastic!

    Maybe this is for a future tutorial, but what happens when you put Future Floor Finish or similar in your water brush instead of water? (Yes, I finally broke down and bought it. LOL I use it as a final coat for my altered book pages to ensure that they don't stick together.)

    ~phinny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Strikingly beautiful! Love how the pp pop off the black!...Just recently I tried my first colors on black...wow this is true inspiration to get serious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful and so striking! Giving me a reason to break out those Perfect Pearls I have still sitting it their packaging ...:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love this technique!!! i just want to ask if pearl-ex gives the same effect? thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your paintings are gorgeous! I really love the woman... but the colors on the butterfly really POP... thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Everyone :)

    Cabbie - Sorry, I'm not sure about Pearl Ex as I don't have any.

    I do know that Twinkling H2O's will give almost the same effect. You will however have to apply several coats to get the same effect as the Perfect Pearls.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!