Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Tim Holtz Style Charm Necklace

Woo hoo!!! It's finished!

I stared this necklace a couple weeks ago and have just been waiting for a few more goodies to finish it off :) I'm not sure if you've ever seen one or not but they are sometimes called "Fetish" necklaces or charm necklaces to the extreme. The first one I ever saw was one made by Tim Holtz. You can see an example here - Absolutely Everything ...right hand side. Basically, they are necklaces made with found objects, items you've made yourself, etc. I loved the idea and knew I could make one of my own, I just needed to start accumulating the goodies to make one.
Well, in addition to some Hannah Grey goodies and my pile of "stuff" I had been collecting I decided it was time! I FINALLY had enough goodies to make one of my very own :)
AND here it is....my very own fetish necklace!!













Supplies:
Bingo Numbers (67 - year I was born; B 11 - "B" for Ben & Bob)
Dress Form - Alcohol Inked w/Stream & Denim
Glass Vial (filled with sand from the ocean!!)
Wire (from a flea market)
old dominoes & game pieces (odd lot off of e-bay)
Crackle Accents
Glossy Accents
Sepia Accents
Mini Frames - 7 Gypsies, Making Memories, Maya Road, etc.
Word Weights (charms) - Blue Moon Beads
Beads - Jo Ann Crafts
Vintage Keys -(flea market) (4-representing each member of my family)
Various other charms from Fancifuls, 7 Gypsies, K&Co, etc.
Word Washers - Making Memories
Ribbon - Jo Ann Crafts

I wound the wire around the handle of my stipple brush to make the necklace base. For some of the charms I wrapped wire round & round to make interesting knots to hang them from...others I used jump rings.
All of the images (both in frames & on the dominoes) were covered in one of the Accents to protect them from wear and tear.
The dominoes, game pieces & dress form were all drilled using a Dremel type rotary tool. If you don't have one I suggest you go buy yourself one right now!! They are just the berries for things like this. I know lots of people go buy the most expensive thing they can find but I have a cheap no-name model that my MIL bought me for Christmas and it works great! I have drilled through the wood game pieces, plastic, laminate chips (home improvement store things), even some metal poker chips (that I got for 1.00 for a whole box!!!). It works just fine! Anyway, they are the best - and it saves having to ask your dh to borrow his tools - tee hee hee!!!
I have a charm bracelet something along these lines planned as well...still gathering charms for it but as soon as it's finished I'll share that with you as well :)
I have a few cards & ATC's I want to share with you tomorrow that I've been working on for Hannah Grey.....
Till then...happy stamping friends!

14 comments:

  1. Um, is that red in there.... Looks awesome. I got my super awesome package this weekend while in PA. I'm so loving the pen and reading material!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL...yep ~ there sure is!! Amazing huh?

    Hey wonderful :) Glad you like! I couldn't resist that book when I saw it...screamed mindaroo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love the coiled wire you have used as a base to hang all the charms from

    I keep meaning to make myself one of these beauties.....

    your one looks amazing

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!! are you really going to wear it!? It's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, I'm going to wear it this weekend...we're doing a girls night out thing...the ladies are getting tattoo's & I'm taking pics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG Roni, this is so stunning....WOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. O
    M
    G
    !

    I am so excited I could burst. (Shhhh... you'll see soon enough why!)

    ~phinny

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Phinny?!?!?! You are SUCH a tease!!!!! I wish I didn't have to go sew with dh tomorrow! I'll have to wait to see the mail till the evening!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thi is so cool i love all those charms in the necklace!!!!! so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How cool!! Love all the charms!! I'll have to show Hannah. She makes jewelry. :) You need to have one of the ladies take a pic of you with the necklace on.

    No tatoo for you? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That necklace is gorgeous! I can see why you didn't want to send it in to Ranger. No way could you duplicate that, and that is something you want to keep forever. I love, love, love, the red!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Roni, that is one Stunning piece or should that be pieces :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!