Saturday, February 9, 2008

Color Wash Cont...


This is a continuation of the filigree heart box we started the other day.

Today I wanted to show you how to make the rainbow insert in the lid and finish off the box.

Please note that this step can get very messy so I suggest working on a Non-Stick Craft Mat which can easily be cleaned after you're finished. It is excellent for projects like this!! (I'll discuss the mat at a later time but I LOVE this little gem!!)



Supplies:

Cardstock
Paper Towels
Pencil

Instructions:

1. Draw a basic outline of desired shape. I do this to be sure I have colored enough of the paper for my project. It's very difficult to add more colors at the end.

2. Start spritzing lines of Color Wash across the paper one at a time. It's o.k. if there is a bit of a space in between each color. We'll take care of that in later steps.

3. Continuing layering Color Wash until you have applied all colors desired.

4. Take a paper towel and start dabbing the excess Color Wash off of the paper. Now is the time to fill in any gaps that you may have missed when applying the Color Wash. To do so simply dab a bit of the ink around where needed.

NOTE!!! You will have to change paper towels often!! You WILL cross contaminate colors. I like to start in the lighter sections and work my way towards the dark areas.
When you are finished your paper will look like this. You will need to either set it aside to dry or if you're impatient like I am just dry it using your heat gun. ;)
5. Cut the heart out and attach to the inside of the lid!
To finish off the box lid I first added an elegant ribbon to the edge. I was lucky and found one that fit perfectly!
Next, I applied Glossy Accents to the entire filigree top. This will take a bit to dry (usually over night) but is well worth it in the end. The added dimension and glossy really bring an added element of beauty to the finished project!
Tip: I wanted to point out a little something extra I did with the Glossy Accents. As you know some silk flowers are a bit life-less so for a bit of extra detail I used a very fine detail brush and added some shading using Glossy Accents! It just gives a bit more character. (This works with mulberry flowers as well!) :)
So, there you have it....a Filigree Heart Box Color Washed with Love :)
I hope you've enjoyed this project and give it a try yourself. You'll see just how much fun Rangers Color Wash can be!!








1 comment:

  1. Absolutely beautiful. :) I'm hoping my art supply store will get the color washes it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!